Suitcase Pet Bed
Two years ago I made a super cute suitcase pet bed for my son (my dog), but he never slept it in because apparently it sat up too high for his liking. Today I swapped out the wooden legs for short furniture feet and took off the top shell to make it easier for him to get in & out of. I think he’s a lot happier with it now and plus it looks really cute in my dining room area. :)
Things you’ll need:
Plastic, metal, or wooden suitcase (Vintage suitcases are a lot cuter)
Take off The Top
1. Open the suitcase and use a screwdriver to loosen the screws from hinges that hold the top and bottom of the suitcase together. Once the screws are completely loose, separate the pieces and keep the bottom part to use for the bed. It depends on your suitcase, but in my case the hinges came loose pretty easy and I was able to pull them out with pliers.
2. Turn the suitcase bottom up and drill a into each of the four corners. Make sure the holes are not placed near the edges to ensure the feet will fully sit underneath the suitcase once it’s flipped over.
Screw in Feet
3. Screw the furniture feet into each of the drilled holes. In some cases washers or lag bolts are needed to hold the feet in place, but in my case they were pretty secure without having to use either. I suggest using the feet I found from Home Depot or some that are similar.
4. Flip the suitcase back over so that it’s standing on the feet. Check to make sure it’s not wobbly and that the screws are not sticking too far out where they will bother your pet.
Place the cushion
5. Last but not least, add in a cute cushion/pillow and add in a cute dog. Done!